– Earn the CLHMS Designation –
The Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist™ (CLHMS) designation assures affluent buyers and sellers that real estate professionals have the knowledge, experience, and unique skills to meet their needs. Members of The Institute who hold the CLHMS designation have documented performance in the TOP 10% of their residential markets and have successfully demonstrated their expertise in the luxury home and estate market.
CLHMS Designee Criteria
To qualify for the CLHMS designation, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Complete The Institute's Luxury Home Marketing Training
- Be an active Member of The Institute
- Meet or exceed the CLHMS designation sales requirements
There is no additional fee to apply for the CLHMS designation. Active Membership with The Institute must be maintained to use the CLHMS trademark and logo.
CLHMS Application Sales Requirements
Three (3) closed transactions that meet each of the following:
- The property is residential, such as a single-family home, townhome, condominium, or cooperative. Unimproved land, commercial, or multi-family properties do not qualify.
- Each property is a unique address. If a Member was both the Listing Agent and the Buyer's Agent for a single transaction, the sale will only qualify as one transaction.
- The sold price is at or above the Luxury Threshold for the market area. Contact us to learn more about the luxury threshold in your market.
- The sold dates of all three properties are within a 24-month period of each other. This period can be at any point in your real estate career.
Each of the property transactions must be accompanied by one of the following options:
- Option 1: MLS sold report; or
- Option 2: HUD Settlement Statement and Commission Disbursement Acknowledgement (CDA)
All supporting documentation must include the property address, property type, sold price, sold date, and commissioned agent's name.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any active Institute Member is eligible to submit the CLHMS Application for the CLHMS designation. There is no fee for the CLHMS Application and no subimssion deadline.
Once the CLHMS designation is earned, a designee must maintain their Membership in The Institute to continue using the CLHMS trademark and logo.
The CLHMS designation is open to active Institute Members who have completed an Institute course, either live or online, and have submitted an application that meets the sales performance requirements listed above.
The luxury threshold for a market is determined by the sold price of a unique, residential property that represents the minimum value of the TOP 10% of residential sales in a market and is more than $500,000.
The Institute defines the U.S. market area by county. The county in which an individual transaction resides will drive the sold price requirement for that transaction. Canadian markets are defined by metropolitan area and vary by market.
Contact us to learn more about the luxury threshold in your market.
Institute Members can download the CLHMS Application from the Members Only portal under My Membership section. The PDF application must be filled out and submitted to The Institute along with the required supporting documentation, listed above. Please allow up to two weeks for review.
All submitted transactions must be closed residential properties, such as single-family homes, townhomes, condominiums, or cooperatives.
Unimproved land, commercial properties, or multifamily properties do not qualify.
Institute Members who earn the CLHMS designation must pay their membership renewal dues with The Institute to continue marketing and promoting themselves as a CLHMS Designee.
There are currently two renewal options, a 12-month renewal option and a 24-month renewal option.
Please allow two business days to receive a confirmation of receipt of the application packet. This confirmation of receipt will outline the application packet review date, typically within two weeks of submission.